Friday, February 10, 2012

Starting

quote found on Facebook

Okay, so here's the deal. As I briefly made mention in the post below, lately I've been working my tail off in the gym. Running 2 miles each day. And on the odd days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) I've also been doing weights for my arms. Yesterday with a little extra added incentive of a Ryan Reynolds interview on TV, I did 3 miles! And ya know what? I didn't die. I thought I might there for a minute. But I didn't.

This is big for me for several reasons but mainly because I HATE to run. HATE it. I grew up playing sports and running was always the punishment for something we'd done wrong. Suicides, sprints, laps, endurance runs...even something we at Vestavia called Alpines which were a combination of running uphill behind the stadium bleachers to the top, then completing 3 "stadiums", and THEN a lap around the track. All which equaled "one", and we'd do something crazy like 4 or 6. Yeah, I hated running. It was punishment.

And I'll admit, running is still something I don't look forward to. I've learned how tough mentally I am (or not). But something I've also learned a little about is runner's high. The endorphins that are released as a result of exercise and the "rush" that comes along with it. So while I still really don't like, I won't use hate, to run, I'm learning that I like the after effects.

And the results aren't so bad either. Week 1 was a weight loss of 4 lbs. We'll see what Week 2 has in store for me on Wednesday when I weigh in.

So don't laugh, but like the poster up there point outs, I'm starting. I may be dead last in anything I decide to run in, but I'm starting. I'll get there. And hopefully it won't kill me.


7 comments:

Lilith Eeckels said...

I know how hard it can be to run but I used to hate it as well and now I love it. It feels good to be in control of your body!! Keep it up!

Jason and Gretchen said...

That is awesome! Way to go! I need to get my butt back in gear....

Fleursbydesign said...

What a great quote, congrats on doing what you have I need to do the same :)

Anonymous said...

gd luck chick xx

danni reid. said...

so happy for you, 3 miles, you're amazing my friend♥

Izzy Anderson said...

Love that quote. So true. In the year I turned 40, I took a running class and trained to run. It was winter and I definitely didn't love it, or even like it. But 8 weeks later when I crossed the finish line (neither first nor last) of a 10k, I wept! It was such a feeling of accomplishment. Congrats to you. You're doing terrific. LOVE your work, too, by the way! You have a great style.

Gretchen said...

yesssssssssssss!! and you are competitive enough that you will never come in last!!