Thursday, April 14, 2011

On a whim

I woke up one day back in February with the feeling that I just HAD to paint something. Since it was so close to Valentines Day I thought I'd make a little decor but I didn't want it to look like I should only use it on V-day. So, on a whim, I whipped up this canvas. These mixed media canvases seem all rage right now, and while I've done a few this is one is my favorite so far. I have it sitting on my mantle and I love it! It's not "Valentines" at all. It's got that shabby chic/vintage feel that I really love as well as all kinds of texture.



Products used: blank 11x14 canvas, Girls Paperie, October Afternoon, Pink Paislee, Crate Paper, and Making Memories papers, vintage laces and trims, Martha Stewart doily and double scallop punches, Fiskars Threading water punch, Prima bling and paper flowers, Crate Paper flower die-cut, Helmar and Mod Podge adhesives, my Maw Maw's buttons (doesn't get any better than that, right?), Plaid paint, script stamp, Distressed ink

I started by painting the background yellow. Too yellow. So I white washed it with watered down white paint until I liked the color. Then I stamped the background with a French script rubber stamp and Distress ink. It still looked too yellow/cream so I white washed over the canvas again. The ink bled and faded a little, but I love the effect. Then I lightly drew the shape of a heart, and trimmed the lengths of my papers and laces to fit the width of the heart. Starting at the bottom and working my way up I layered and layered the trims and papers (most of which are white washed too), then added the buttons. For a last little touch and to hide the blunt ends of the papers, I lined the outer edge with ruffled white cardstock. The flowers and bling swirls are the final touch.

Thanks for letting me share! ;) Hope you like it, because I sure do!



9 comments:

Stacey Michaud said...

I love this! perfect!

Anonymous said...

beautiful x x

ellen s. said...

oh how neat! i love every detail

Andrea Amu said...

That's so very pretty! Love the feminine touches... beautiful!

Gretchen said...

beautiful!!

Hilde Aaslund aka Scoobie said...

This is beautiful, Deanna! Love the mix of papers strips and trims, and how much structure this add to your project! TFS!

Annika said...

So sweet!

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

this is sooo pretty, I totally LOVE this~!!!

Erin Yamabe said...

how very pretty, Deanna!